An Historical Sketch
The Spirit River Municipal Library has been serving the community of Spirit River and surrounding area since the 1940’s, when it emerged from discussions, which took place within the Home and School Association. Formally established by Gertrude Bryan, a local teacher, in the back of the Spirit River School Division office with donated books, no budget and volunteer help, the Spirit River Library has been an active part of the community since it was established as a by-law on May 5, 1947.
Part time employees usually high school students, served as circulation librarians. More responsibility was transfer to the Librarian from the board in the early 1980’s, as the Board was seen to be chiefly responsible for developing policies, public relations and hiring of staff.
In 1986, the Library Board, through the Town Council of Spirit River opted to join the Peace Library System for a three year term. In 1989, the Town Council accepted the recommendation of the Library Board that we continue membership on the Peace Library System until 1992.
(Compiled from reports by Blair Chung and Donna Zuk)